Entry Deadline is Friday, April 7, 2017 by 5 p.m. Concert/Competition is Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7 p.m.
How to Enter
Entering the Rising Stars Concert/Competition is Exceptionally easy. Simply fill out the online entry form. Here are a few points you will need to know:
- Rising Stars is open to classically trained students high school age and younger – in or outside of Forsyth County.
- There is no fee for entry.
- Each selected participant will receive $250 for participation. In addition, a First Prize totaling $1000, a Second Prize totaling $750, and an Audience Choice Prize totaling $500 will be awarded.
- Students will submit two complete works (a single movement of a concerto is considered a complete work) for consideration. Each work should total no more than 10-12 minutes in duration. The two works should show a variety of style.
- Students will upload submissions to a website such as YouTube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud. Participants will be selected from these recordings.
- Students will provide their own accompanist if required for the Rising Stars Concert/Competition.
The Rising Stars Concert/Competition was begun in 2011 and features classically trained young musicians, instrumentalists and vocalists alike, from the Atlanta Metro Area.
Rising Stars is modeled after the excellent NPR program From the Top on which the host interviews the young musicians in an informal way and then they perform for the assembled audience. Several past Rising Stars have in fact been featured guests on From the Top.
Students perform for the assembled audience and all participants receive a cash award for participation. In addition, First, Second and Audience Choice awards are also made during the evening.
One of the highlight performance programs of the Festival, Rising Stars is not to be missed!
Be sure to sign up for our email updates at the bottom of this page.
Christopher “Oak” Martin, Organist and 2016 First Place Winner, performing Charles Marie Widor’s Allegro from Symphony 6, Op. 42, No. 2 Joshua Shue, Pianist and 2015 First Place Winner, performing Frederic Chopin’s Ballade No. 4 in F-minor, Op. 52 Daniel Tancredi, Bassist and 2015 Second Place Winner, performing Giovanni Bottesini’s Fantasia sulla “La Sonnambula” di Bellini Andrew Koonce, Violinist and 2015 Audience Choice Award Winner performing Henri Vieuxtemps’ Concerto No. 5 in A-minor, Op. 37 (abridged) Hally Davidson, winner of the 2011 Rising Stars Competition (the inaugural program) at the Cumming First United Methodist Church Festival of Arts in the winning performance of the “Fantasie for Flute” by George Hue. Keanu Mitanga, winner of the 2012 Rising Stars Competition at the Cumming First United Methodist Church Festival of Arts in the winning performance of the “Allemanda” from “Violin Sonata #4” by Eugene Ysaye